Salohcin Discussions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Salohcin Discussions

Discuss various subjects.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Figure of Speech That Leaves You Speechless

Go down 
+2
liverpoolvv
Wolf
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Wolf
Admin
Wolf

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Figure of Speech That Leaves You Speechless Empty
PostSubject: Figure of Speech That Leaves You Speechless   Figure of Speech That Leaves You Speechless Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2008 3:05 pm

Are there any figures of speech, sayings or phrases that drive you mad? Or are there any that you just don’t understand the logic of?
Back to top Go down
http://www.salohcin.co.uk
liverpoolvv

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Figure of Speech That Leaves You Speechless   Figure of Speech That Leaves You Speechless Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 8:21 pm

The "A bird in the hand is worth two ........ " I have never properly got to grips with. I am sure if i thought about it long enough though I would Razz
Back to top Go down
Nick

Nick

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Figure of Speech That Leaves You Speechless   Figure of Speech That Leaves You Speechless Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 2:39 pm

One that springs to mind at the moment is when people say “I don’t agree with that, it’s not natural” (normally referring to sexual behaviour of some kind, or something else that they find morally wrong). Well, TV is not natural, the internet is not natural, the car is not natural, buying your food at a supermarket is not natural. So if you are going to object to something on the grounds that it is not natural, I expect to see you eking out an existence on whatever nuts and berries you can find scattered around the woods and fields, walking everywhere you go and not using the computer or TV or any other modern device.

Another one is "I'm not going to try because it wouldn't make a difference whether I tried or not". Of course it won't make a difference if you don't try, because unless someone tells them something is wrong, they will continue to do what they want, and probably think they are doing what you want them to do, because noone can be bothered to tell them different! monkey
Back to top Go down
Mike

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Figure of Speech That Leaves You Speechless   Figure of Speech That Leaves You Speechless Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 9:32 pm

I gnash my teeth whenever I hear someone say "basically". It can usually be translated as "I've got an opinion which I haven't thought through, but if I prefix it with the word 'basically' then I can give the patronising impression that I could give a more detailed explanation if I wanted to, but I really can't". Phew! I'm glad I got that off my chest!
Back to top Go down
Nick

Nick

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Figure of Speech That Leaves You Speechless   Figure of Speech That Leaves You Speechless Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 12:48 am

Well basically that's just being picky! affraid

afro
Back to top Go down
Mike

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Figure of Speech That Leaves You Speechless   Figure of Speech That Leaves You Speechless Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 10:34 am

Agh! Gnash! Gnash! Gnash!
Back to top Go down
Lexylegs11

Lexylegs11

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-08-25

PostSubject: Leaving me speachless   Figure of Speech That Leaves You Speechless Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 3:15 pm

Something not often achieved, but the phrase "All's fair in Love and War" tends to bring that incredulous look to my face, there is nothing 'fair' about either, and generally the outcomes of either incorporate a level of injustice, unfair to at least one party, ok so I am a cynic Smile
Back to top Go down
RAVEN

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Figure of Speech That Leaves You Speechless   Figure of Speech That Leaves You Speechless Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 7:42 pm

alien cherry the phrase " to cut a long story short " & the person then goes on to tell you the whole thing in detail grrrr
Back to top Go down
RAVEN

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Figure of Speech That Leaves You Speechless   Figure of Speech That Leaves You Speechless Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 7:45 pm

Shocked hey pull yourself together, you will be fine ........... what am iI ,a pair of curtains
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Figure of Speech That Leaves You Speechless   Figure of Speech That Leaves You Speechless Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Figure of Speech That Leaves You Speechless
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Salohcin Discussions :: Main Discussions Boards-
Jump to: