Salohcin Discussions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Salohcin Discussions

Discuss various subjects.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

DNA Database

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Wolf
Admin
Wolf

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-07-21

DNA Database Empty
PostSubject: DNA Database   DNA Database Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 4:23 am

What do you think about the possibility of developing a country-wide (or world-wide) DNA database? Would you be willing to have your DNA stored? Would you consider it an infringement of your human rights? Or would you welcome it as a tool to fight crime?
Back to top Go down
http://www.salohcin.co.uk
Nick

Nick

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-07-23

DNA Database Empty
PostSubject: Re: DNA Database   DNA Database Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 12:13 pm

I would like to see the development (or rather expansion) or a DNA database. I think that every baby, when born, should have its DNA recorded and stored, so that gradually everyone is included in the database.

I have heard most of the arguments against the DNA database (invasion of privacy, possibility of misuse of the database), but overall I think the benefits outweigh the risks.

We do need to put in place a few safeguards to ensure that any use of the DNA database in evidence must not be based solely on the DNA evidence, but must be corroborated by other reliable evidence. Also it must be ensured that the database is protected from private companies gaining access to the database and possibly misusing the data in the pursuit of profits.

As long as correct safeguards are implemented along with the development of the database, and continue to be upheld, then I support the database.
Back to top Go down
liverpoolvv

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-07-22

DNA Database Empty
PostSubject: Re: DNA Database   DNA Database Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 8:50 pm

I myself wouldn't mind whatsoever as I have asolutely nothing to hide. I would find it slightly degrading but I would think it would be an excellent deterrent from people committing crime.
Back to top Go down
Mike

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-08-19

DNA Database Empty
PostSubject: Re: DNA Database   DNA Database Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 9:24 pm

I'm against anything like this, and here are some possible problems with having a DNA database:
What if someone leaves a DNA sample quite innocently at a crime scene? For example, someone has a nosebleed or sneezes or something at a place where, an hour later, a crime takes place where DNA evidence might be relevant. Isn't there a danger of the innocent person getting convicted, especially if DNA evidence is seen as irrefutable?
Surely the people most in favour of having their samples filed would be those least likely to commit crimes. If so, why do their samples need to be on the database in the first place!?
Also, I might be wrong but as far as I know, if you are arrested, have a DNA sample taken and then get cleared of any charges, your sample remains on the database whether you like it or not. Where's the justice in that?
Back to top Go down
Nick

Nick

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-07-23

DNA Database Empty
PostSubject: Re: DNA Database   DNA Database Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 7:53 pm

There is already legislation in place against DNA evidence being used to convict anyone without other evidence being available. There must be more damning evidence of your involvement in a crime than just your DNA being present before you can be charged with a crime. The DNA evidence may only be used to point the police in the direction that those people were present and so need to be questioned, not that that person must be the guilty party automatically.

But a DNA database is not only useful for criminal conviction, but may be used in tracking missing people / lost children, identifying a body in the event of death, in proving or disproving parentage, and many other reasons.

At present if you are arrested, your DNA is taken, and kept if you are charged, however if you are not charged with a crime, then you DNA must be destroyed and not kept on the database.
Back to top Go down
Mike

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-08-19

DNA Database Empty
PostSubject: Re: DNA Database   DNA Database Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 8:09 pm

I stand corrected! (I'm still not in favour of a database, though!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

DNA Database Empty
PostSubject: Re: DNA Database   DNA Database Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DNA Database
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Salohcin Discussions :: Main Discussions Boards-
Jump to: