Salohcin Discussions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Salohcin Discussions

Discuss various subjects.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pharmaceutical companies - are they immoral or life savers?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Wolf
Admin
Wolf

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Pharmaceutical companies - are they immoral or life savers? Empty
PostSubject: Pharmaceutical companies - are they immoral or life savers?   Pharmaceutical companies - are they immoral or life savers? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 3:42 am

Some people think that drug companies charge way too much for the drugs they produce for the medical profession. Is it right that a company should make profits from other peoples' illnesses? Should pharmaceutical companies provide free drugs to poor countries, or continue to make as much profit as possible from them? Should drug development and production be allowed to be under the control of private companies to make a profit from such things, or should it be part of the NHS?

A large part of the cost of running the NHS is down to the cost of drugs, so should these companies provide these drugs cheaper to the government than to other customers?
Back to top Go down
http://www.salohcin.co.uk
Nick

Nick

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Pharmaceutical companies - are they immoral or life savers?   Pharmaceutical companies - are they immoral or life savers? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 10:44 pm

I have to admit that these companies are my pet hate. I fond it disgusting that these companies make money from other peoples’ suffering, and refuse to give their drugs to people in the third world that can’t afford to pay full price.

Their excuse for making such huge profits is that they then use those profits to fund research and development on new drugs, but it doesn’t seem to stop them from making huge payouts to their share holders. I say stop paying your share holders so much and reduce the price of your drugs instead.

They claim to be providing vital products for mankind as if they are complete saints, but their behaviour denies that lie every time.
Back to top Go down
Mike

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Pharmaceutical companies - are they immoral or life savers?   Pharmaceutical companies - are they immoral or life savers? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 7:10 pm

Surely the same criticisms could be made of any company which produces necessities, such as purifying water, producing electricity, many foods?
I agree that it would be better if the NHS had more direct involvement with research. I doubt that the government would agree to this, though, as it would be too much like a nationalised industry and it would affect competition between pharmaceutical companies.
Back to top Go down
Nick

Nick

PostSubject: Re: Pharmaceutical companies - are they immoral or life savers?   Pharmaceutical companies - are they immoral or life savers? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 7:20 pm

This is true, and this topic has been raised under Business is Business, as to whether certain commodities should be made and sold from private companies or nationalised.
Back to top Go down
Mike

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Pharmaceutical companies - are they immoral or life savers?   Pharmaceutical companies - are they immoral or life savers? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 7:23 pm

Oh! I hadn't seen that. I'll look at it now!
Back to top Go down
Nick

Nick

PostSubject: Re: Pharmaceutical companies - are they immoral or life savers?   Pharmaceutical companies - are they immoral or life savers? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 12:49 am

Glad to have helped. alien
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pharmaceutical companies - are they immoral or life savers?   Pharmaceutical companies - are they immoral or life savers? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pharmaceutical companies - are they immoral or life savers?
Page 1 of 1